To provide short-term quality and suitable working opportunities for those who are unemployed and on the Live Register for 12 + months while at the same time carrying out beneficial work within communities and are provided by community and voluntary organisations in both urban and rural areas. The Tús initiative is managed by local development companies and Údarás na Gaeltachta for the Department of Social Protection, which has overall responsibility for the scheme.
The Tús programme was announced in the 2010 Government Budget as part of the Government’s co-ordinated response to the economic crisis, through the Dept of Social Protection. There are 7,500 placements nationally with NEWKD securing 120 placements for the North & East of the County. Tús is a work placement initiative for both rural and urban areas.
Participants will in the first instance, be identified by Department of Social Protection by satisfying the following conditions:
- A person must be continuously unemployed for at least 12 months and “signing” on a full time basis.
- be in receipt of a Jobseekers payment from the Department of Social Protection for at least 12 months (including Jobseekers Benefit).
- Currently in receipt of Jobseekers Allowance.
- Participants will work 19.5 hrs per week for a maximum 12 month period.
- Potential participants should contact their local social welfare office.
From June 2015 it is now an option to self-select to the Tús programme. To avail of this option you must fill out an Tús self-selection form available from your Local Social Welfare/INTREO Office or by downloading here Tús 7 Assisted-Self Referral form and Case Office recommendation. This form should be returned to your Local Social Welfare/INTREO Office.
Community & Voluntary Groups:
It will be possible to work in delivering a very broad range of services of benefit to the community and in a variety of community settings under this initiative. Community groups can apply using the official NEKD application form available from our offices or download here.Tus application form for community groups
Work opportunities will be selected that:
- Do not displace existing commercial activity or duplicate service provision by another agency.
- Is of sufficient quality.
- Makes a meaningful contribution within communities.
- Supports voluntary effort.
Check out Tús Frequently Asked Questions for more information tusfaq
|Trisha Dowling||Tralee||066 email@example.com|
|Tús Co-ordintor /Supervisor||Tina Moriarty||Tralee||066 firstname.lastname@example.org|
|Tús Supervisor||Helena Houlihan||Listowel||068 email@example.com|
|Tús Supervisor||Marie Keane||Tralee||066 firstname.lastname@example.org|
|Tús Supervisor||Steve Moore||Tralee||066 email@example.com|
|Tús Supervisor||Emma Edwards||Castleisland||066 firstname.lastname@example.org|